Summary of Benefits
As I was reading this week, I came across a great summary article, Top 10 Benefits of Eating Breakfast. Here are my favorites:
- Energy Boost to Start the Day…”so many common breakfast foods that can be considered super-foods because of their nutrition value.”
- Sharper Focus- ‘when you skip out on breakfast, it’s hard not to think about anything except food…”
- Reduce Morning Crankiness- “help you deal with any morning moodiness and stress…”
- Metabolism Boost- “allow your body to start burning calories from the very beginning of the day…”
- Lose Weight- “Numerous studies have also shown than an increase in weight is commonly associated with skipping breakfast.”
Read the entire article here.
Jan’s Oatmeal Recipe, adapted
I mentioned that Ed makes oatmeal as an option for breakfast. He makes a big batch and then has it ready for a quick reheat (stovetop, not microwave). We thank our Columbus friend, Jan Wagner, for the following recipe (Ed has adapted it slightly).
2 c coconut milk (we use unsweetened) 4 c water
Bring liquids to boil and stir in
1 c steel cut oats 1/2 cup quinoa 1/2 cup chia seed
Stir with fork to thoroughly blend.
Simmer for 15-20 min, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
Remove from heat and stir in:
1 TBSP cinnamon 1 tsp vanilla walnuts/pecans, cranberries.
Stir, cool, refrigerate; heat as needed.
Ed uses maple syrup to sweeten. I use brown sugar or honey.
Yes, eat breakfast! There are many wonderful, nutritious, tasty options that take just a little time and planning. However, if you are consistently skipping breakfast and/or you are realizing that eating breakfast would be a healthy component of your fat loss program, consider using Mannatech’s TruPlenish meal replacement drink. It is available in Chocolate, Vanilla, and seasonally Pumpkin Spice. Check it out here.
What’s your breakfast commitment? Leave your comments below! Have a great day!